The articles on this website on the blue and gold macaws in Nigeria are in four parts. This blog post will look at the blue and gold macaw’s lifespan, general characteristics, and exciting and fun facts about the gorgeous amazon parrot in Nigeria.
The second part of the four-part series focuses on the blue and gold macaw’s temperament, while the third part is on training tips for macaw parrots in Nigeria. The last part, the fourth in this series, addresses buying tips, where, how to buy, and the blue and gold macaw parrot price in Nigeria. Look at the lifespan and blue and gold macaws’ physical characteristics.
Blue and Gold Macaw Life Span And Physical Characteristics
The blue and gold macaw are birds to be kept for a lifetime as they live up to 80 years. Macaw chicks are weaned at four months, but they remain with their parents for a year in the wild. These parrots attain sexual maturity between 2 to 4 years. And they grow up to 34 – 36 inches in length and also have a wingspan of 41 – 45 inches and a weight of 900 – 1,200g in a lifetime.
Blue and Gold Macaw Facts
Below are some basic, exciting and fun facts about the blue and gold macaws:
- Macaws are zygodactylous. This means they have 4 toes, with 2 pointing forward and the other 2 to the back.
- Blue and gold macaws grow to have a body length of 35 inches and a wing of about 45 inches that enables a speed of up to 35 mph.
- Macaws are well known in aviculture for their striking and attractive colour and ability to mimic spoken words.
- The blue and gold macaw plumage is used to make large tapestries in pre-Columbian society.
- The blue and gold macaws have strong beaks that could open nuts. The seeds are dispersed across the forest, thereby helping with reforestation.
- Offsprings or chicks of the blue and gold macaw usually live with their parents for a year.
- The blue and gold macaw is a messy eater!
- Blue and gold macaws can live with you for a lifetime because of their lifespan of about 70 – 80 years.
In this blog post, we have gone through the blue and gold macaw lifespan. A summary of the macaw’s physical characteristics has also been examined, including fun and basic facts about the macaws. Now, let’s look at the personality of the blue and gold macaw in the next post.