In this article, I will explain how you can start your dog breeding business in Nigeria and how to become successful at it.
Many households in Nigeria have welcomed the idea of owning a dog for various reasons like security, companionship and even therapy. Isn’t it exciting to know that your love for dogs could turn into a successful breeding business? A dog breeding business in Nigeria is both emotionally rewarding and financially satisfying. Starting a dog breeding business can bring you much joy and put money in your pocket.
You are probably wondering how you would do it. Here are some information and tips to help you get started on how to start and become a successful dog breeder in Nigeria.
- Before starting the dog breeding business, you should have basic knowledge of dog breeds, health care and dog food. There are different dog breeds for different functions like guard dogs, hunting dogs, herding dogs, etcetera – you should research well before selecting the best dog breed for your business. You don’t want to breed poor-quality dogs and end up with unhealthy puppies that nobody wants!
- A good tip is to buy one or two healthy purebred adult dogs from previous successful breeders who know what they’re doing. This way, you’ll avoid puppy sickness right from the start and learn how things work (how to breed, dog health care, etcetera) from an experienced dog breeder in Nigeria. After all, dog breeding is a big business in Nigeria and very competitive – you want to learn as much as you can quickly! Make sure both dogs are healthy and of good quality (look for champion bloodline with pedigree certificates, if possible) before buying them.
- Always buy the best dog food you can afford. Better dog food is expensive, but your dogs will be healthier and produce better puppies. You can start with regular dog food like Pedigree or Optimax but make sure to gradually switch to a premium brand such as (for example) Royal Canin or Booster. A good dog kibble should contain lots of meat and should be grain-free (including rice), especially if your dog is sensitive to specific dog food ingredients like maize (corn) – even dog food for sensitive stomachs should ideally be free from dog food ingredients like corn or other fillers like wheat, soy and pea fibre.
- If you’re planning on having a dog breeding business in Nigeria, you’ll need dog breeding equipment, including the whelping box, dog crate, nipple waterer and medicated dog shampoo. You can get all that pet stuff from our online pet store.
- You’ll need a dog breeder website to build a good business relationship with dog breeders from across Nigeria. Your dog breeding site, if you can afford it, should look professional and easy to use – Google “how to build dog breeding website” for dog breeders tips or if you have no idea how to start an online dog breeder business in Nigeria, this guide on How To Start A Dog Breeding Business in Nigeria also has everything you need to know.
- Don’t forget that whoever breeds the best dog will win. If your dog is of high quality, it’s only a matter of time before your puppies are sold at top prices. You can also buy cheaper puppy dogs from other backyard breeders (at lower prices) but always ensure that they’re healthy and of good quality before you do. You can also place dog ads online or dog classifieds on websites like Olist, Jiji, or buydogs.com.ng.
- If you want to avoid dog fleas, you should brush your dog regularly with a dog flea comb – dog breeders who neglect this will end up with dog skin problems and pups with fleas!
- There’s a lot more to learn about the dog breeding business, but Doggy Dan, The Online Dog Trainer, has some good videos on Youtube about becoming a successful dog breeder. If you need help sourcing high-quality dog breeds, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Good dog breeders always have dog health certificates for their sold puppies – ask to see that before you buy your new dog! Dog health certs don’t cost a lot and are worth every penny if you want to avoid dog diseases like Parvo.
What you need to know about the dog breeding business in Nigeria
Starting any successful business requires research. Studying your new business area is very important because it will provide valuable information. There are a few things you need to know when starting your dog breeding business, some of which are;
- Trendy dogs in Nigeria and how much they cost. Information on trendy dogs can help you decide on which breed you would want to start with. For example, the German Shepherd is one of the most popular dogs in Nigeria. The German Shepherd can be sold for between N80 000 to N250 000 depending on several factors such as its pedigree or age.
- Who you can sell to? Research also makes it easier to identify to who you can sell your dogs. Luckily the dog breeding business in Nigeria has a large target market in Nigeria. You can sell to individuals, security companies or pet stores. So, the ideal customer depends on the type of dog you are breeding.
- How to advertise. Advertising is key to the success of any business, and research helps you find easy and inexpensive ways to advertise your new business. WhatsApp groups, internet forums such as Nairaland Pet Section, and social media sites such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter are some of the most popular platforms you can use to advertise your dogs for sale in Nigeria.
Creating a Breeding Plan For Your Dog Breeding Business in Nigeria
A dog breeding business plan is the best way to determine how your business will operate. A dog breeding plan is a schedule that shows you when you can expect your litter. It helps you plan. If you consider breeding dogs a part-time business, you could consider having one litter a year. Popular dogs like the Pitbull have one litter a year, giving you an average of five puppies. When it comes to how many breeds you should have, most people have started their dog breeding business with one breed.
- Taking Care of Your Dogs
The dog breeding business is about taking good care of the pregnant dog and its little puppies once they are born. Puppies need a lot of attention, food, vaccinations and visits to the vet.
- Learning from Others
To be the best at any business, you need to take time to learn from others like www.petlovers.com.ng. Taking time to learn from experienced dog breeders will give you an insight into building comfortable dog spaces, bedding and kennel disinfectants.
Now that you have all the information you need, let’s talk about how to get started.
Having decided on the breed you want to start with and have purchased it, it is essential to create a feeding and exercise routine to produce the best breed of dogs. Taking the dogs for a regular vet check is also vital to avoid or treat many common canine illnesses.
Increasing Your Profits
Did you know that training your dogs and puppies has incredible benefits when it comes to profitability? Training your dogs and puppies teaches them how to adapt and obey commands. This increases the value of each dog. A trained Doberman Pinscher can be sold between N120 000 to N300 000 in Nigeria. Training your dogs is the way to go if you want to increase your profit.
Creating a Business Plan
If you are considering getting a loan from the bank to start your business, you might need a business plan. A business plan is simply a layout of how you intend to profit from your business. It shows your goals and how you will achieve them. However, if you don’t need a loan, it is still a good idea to write down a clear action plan for your business to help you achieve your goals. Your love for dogs can turn into a very successful business, and at www.petlovers.com.ng, we have the right tools to get you started. The greatest reward that comes from this business is giving people a source of happiness and companionship.
Final Dog breeder’s tip: Don’t run away from financial investment into your dog breeding business, it will pay off in the end. A good dog breeding website, high-quality puppy supplies, dog breeding equipment and dog breeding training will enable you to become a successful dog breeder much faster.
There are a lot of dog breeders out there who keep it simple, and that’s fine – but if you want to sell your dog kennel business for top Naira, make sure to invest time, money and effort into every dog breeding aspect! It takes hard work to become a good dog breeder, but it can be done with diligence. And remember: quality is king!