Did you get a Cockatiel parrot and looking for training tips and tricks? In this article, we will be sharing several quick tips on how to teach your cockatiel to talk.
Teaching a cockatiel to talk
One of the main reasons you want to get a cockatiel, among other qualities that they have, is their ability to imitate sounds. Although the cockatiel may imitate sounds on their own, you should create time to teach them. Find below 5 tips on how to teach a cockatiel to talk:
- It would be best if you made your cockatiel get familiar with you. The more they are comfortable around you, the more likely they will be willing to learn from you.
- Create a learning environment that is free from distractions and noise.
- Start by teaching your bird simple words such as “Hello”, “bye”, “good morning” before you switch to longer words and phrases like “I am a good bird.”
- Repeat the word until they can repeat it after you. It becomes easier for them to remember a word when you make particular actions each time you say the word. For example, you can tell them, “do you want a treat” each time you want to give them a treat.
- Finally, you will notice that your bird likes some particular words better. Focus on these words until they master them before switching to another one. Create a reward system when your cockatiel gets a word right but don’t scold them as it will make them timid and shy.
Where to buy a cockatiel parrot in Nigeria
Once you are ready to bring your feathered friend home, the next question is to buy them. You can easily get one from a local pet store, but the disadvantage is that many of them have unknown history and are difficult to train. You can also look for a small breeder where you can get more details about the bird. However, to save you from this stress and the risk of buying a bird that you would regret, you can trust a reliable source like us at PetLovers to help you get the right bird for your home.